Sunday, March 17, 2013

Them's Fighting Words!

Disclaimer: The following is about mma matches that took place this past Saturday and it is not about fitness or health.

So here are my thoughts on this past Saturday night's fights starting with UFC158: St. Pierre vs Diaz. If you're like me, you're tired of St. Pierre and you think he's about as interesting, charismatic  and predictable as a machine. In the video below, he stars in a commercial.

Knowing how I feel toward GSP, my friend Adan from Aloha BBQ , who is an mma expert analyst, offered to bet me $50 that GSP would beat Nick Diaz. I'm a Nick Diaz fan and was rooting for him all they way. But I wasn't about lose money over him. So I countered him with this bet: I offered him a $100 bet that GSP would not KO, TKO, or submit Diaz. He rejected it.

So then I posted on the Fighter Physique twitter page and facebook page a bet of my own. I offered to ANYONE that if GSP would have won by KO, TKO, or submission then anyone who came in to the gym and mentioned the post would get 1 year FREE membership.

When I was first typing out that post, I was just going to offer only 1 month free membership. But then I thought, "F*** it!" There was a furniture store owner who bet free furniture if the 2nd half kickoff was returned for a touchdown in this year's past Superbowl. Well it was. That's gambling. You don't make a bet unless you're willing to lose it.

But I knew I wasn't going to lose it!

Funny enough, my dad gave me the perfect insight. Here's a little background: My dad is the most hardcore boxing fan you'll ever meet. When he was kid, all the other kids on the block would call my dad the encyclopedia of boxing. (Now that they don't make encyclopedias anymore, they just call me the google of boxing.) My dad only recently got a little into mma. And even then, he only watches it to criticize the fighters' boxing.

So I invited my dad to come with me to watch the GSP vs Diaz fight. He said:

"Who's fighting? Why? That's so predictable. That G-P-S guy or whatever they call him will win a decision. I don't care how mad that cholo gets, he's not gonna' win."

And my dad was spot on. He's just a casual mma fan. But he knew enough to predict with 100% accuracy what the outcome of the fight would be.

So yeah. He brought me back to earth with the realization that it was going to be a boring fight. At least with the 1 year membership bet I made, I was into it right up until the end.

So I ask myself the question, "Why do people pay for this if they already know what's going to happen?"

And the answer to that, my friends, is GENIUS! marketing by the suits at the UFC. Being a small business owner, I am really impressed by that. I wish I could convince everyone out there to come to my gym, the way that the UFC was able to convince us all that there was a chance that GSP was not just going to win another boring decision. I'd be as rich as Mark Cuban.

1 comment:

werone said...

GSP is a good fighter, boring or not. Someone needs to step up to the plate and beat him, fight him in the style that dominates him, frustrates him....